Looking for a nutritious, no bake alternative to cookies? Protein balls can be a great way to fill that late afternoon hunger or after-dinner sweet craving. There are hundreds of variations on this recipe. Most of them have some sort of nut butter as a binder and may or may not add flavored protein powder to the mix. If you want a touch of sweet, you can add things like honey, agave, dried fruit, or cacao nibs. I also love mixing in omega 3’s and superfoods like ground flaxseed and chia seeds.
This month, our featured recipe has Wild Orange DoTERRA essential oil (food grade) to give it that energizing zest of flavor. We’ll be featuring this recipe during our essential oil workshop (among other recipes) on Saturday, April 9. Don’t have the exact ingredients? Have fun with it! Try substituting other things like fresh orange zest, or peppermint extract.
Wild Orange Power Bites
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut, divided
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP chia seeds
- 3-6 drops DoTERRA Wild Orange essential oil
- Place all ingredients into mixer, reserving half cup of shredded coconut in a bowl to the side.
- Add the essential oil
- Mix until well combined
- Roll into balls and coat in the other half cup of shredded coconut
- Store in the refrigerator